2.05.2006

02.05.06. Where Jesus Walked

The steps leading from Caiphas' house in Jerusalem, where Christ more than likely walked after His trial by the High Priest.


As I ride the bumpy van to the Tel Aviv Airport, I am so grateful for the ten days I was able to spend here in Israel. It had been a desire of my heart to visit this wonderful and colorful land once again, and God granted its fulfillment. Between myself, Ben, Katie, and Heidi, we made lots of memories and covered big chunks of this little country God loves.

This land is so colorful: the vibrant scarves and shawls and blankets hawked by vendors, the multiplicity of beliefs, the glowing sunrises and blazing sunsets. To walk where Jesus walked is an experience that I do not take lightly. As I have "halacheled" with Jesus this past week and a half (the Hebrew word for walking beside as a companion and experiencing deep, rich fellowship), I have come to understand more that His Name is wonderful. He is my Creator, Savior, and Friend. He is the Almighty God, King of the Universe, and Good Shepherd. He is El Shaddai, El Elyon, Johovah, and Adonai. And He is my King, and I am His. Oh, how I want to know Him more!

This morning, my last glimpse of the Mount of Olives on the way out of the city brought tears to my eyes. Someday soon, the Yeshua that some trust in, some disregard, and some scorn will set His pierced feet on that mountain in all of His glory, and that hill will split in two. He will walk through the Kidron Valley, triumphant over the death that fills those hills. And every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Even so come quickly, Lord Jesus!

The song echoing through my heart these past several days is "Nearer, Still Nearer." It is my prayer and plea: Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart draw me, my Savior, so precious Thou art! Fold me, oh fold me close to Thy breast. Shelter me safe in that Haven of Rest. Near, still nearer—nothing I bring, naught as an offering to Jesus my King. Only my sinful, now-contrite heart; grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

Nearer, still nearer, Lord, to be Thine! Sin with its follies I gladly resign. All of its pleasures, pomp and its pride: give me but Jesus, my Lord crucified. Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last, till safe in glory my anchor is cast. Through endless ages ever to be nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee. Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee!

No comments: